First Visit Checklist
Your First Annual Exam - What to Expect
An obstetrician–gynecologist (ob-gyn) is a doctor who specializes in the health care of women. Girls should have their first gynecologic visit between the ages of 13 years and 15 years. Many women experience some anxiety about their first annual exam. Don't worry, that's a completely natural feeling.
It is normal to feel nervous about your first visit. It may help if you talk about it with your parents or someone else you trust. You may want to let your provider know you are nervous. He or she can help put you at ease.
One of our Medical Assistants will first meet with you to talk about your history including:
- Your periods - when did they start, their duration any symptoms you have before or during
- Your pregnancy history
- Your sexual history
- Lifestyle issues that affect your health like smoking, your diet, and your exercise habits
Once you are ready, we will help to make you comfortable in an exam room and show you how to put on a patient gown. Your provider will explain what will be done prior to any procedure and will make every effort to ensure that you remain as comfortable and relaxed as possible.
Before Your First Visit
Congratulations! That's a lot of work. We want to make the most of your valuable time with us and to be as prepared as possible to meet your needs and exceed your expectations.
- Review and fill out your new patient paperwork
- Make a list of issues and questions to discuss with your provider
- Remember to bring your insurance card and a form of identification